Thursday, November 19, 2009

H1N1 - There is a God!

Today is a killer day. Thanks to the H1N1 vaccine. And we haven't even had the shot yet!

Magellan called me about a 3 year old passing away in Greece (a town about 30 mins away from us) from the H1N1 virus, and I read about another child in Wayne County yesterday. It's getting close to home and making me nervous. So I checked to see when clinics around us would be offered. Low and behold (and lucky me!) there was one 5 mins from us starting at 10a and going til 8p. Little did I know what was actually in store for me once I got there.

We got to the Town Hall about 930a or so and I was only semi prepared. I had brought plenty of drinks, snacks and blankets and toys but boy I didn't have it all. Shocking, huh? I saw all the cars already there and almost died. It was a huge hike from where we had parked and once we got up to the Town Hall, I see that there is a line just to get your number and paperwork. But that line was enormous. Seriously. I have never seen a longer line in my life. It was like everyone and their neighbor came out. I find it hard to believe that all those people there were under 25, had some sort of respiratory issue, or had very young children.

After an hour and a half of waiting, a very nice couple (who had 2 young children) said the wife was going to her car to wait it out and the hubby took down my phone number and told me to wait in my car and he would call when he got close so the kids didn't have to get any colder. Ella was about at the end of what we will call good behavior and by that time it was down pouring....oh and it was 40 degrees.

There is a God!

So, we went and sat in the car, watched the line move very slowly, ate pretzels, drank water/milk and watched Baby Einstein movies. It was about another 2 hours of waiting in the car. Finally, I made a mad dash to get my number and paperwork and asked the women what the estimate was from when you actually got your number til when it was called. Oh, forgot to mention, there was a special radio station designated to call the numbers so people could wait in their cars and stay warm. Her response:

"Um they're saying about 5-6 hours."

All I could do was blink and stare.

She calmly said, "If I were you and you have little kids, go home, come back around 530p to be on the safe side and get some rest."

There is a God!

I ran as fast as I could, told CJ the good news and off I went to run my errands with the kids!

CJ was so happy we didn't have to wait in the car any more. Even he was getting antsy. By the time we got home it was 1p. Mind you we left the house at 915am. Ella passed right out in her crib and CJ is having quiet time. I'm going to eat a sandwich and go sleep myself. I'm exhausted.

I'll tell y'all tomorrow how the actual process and shot go! With pictures maybe!!


~aj~ said...

What an ordeal!!!!

I decided to take my boys to our free clinic last month. We were fully prepared with all our supplies and then I saw the parking lot was filled with hundreds upon hundreds of cars. People were parking a half mile away and walking!

I just kept on a driving...

Drew just got his yesterday and I haven't been able to do Adam's yet, but I hope soon. I'm like you in that hearing those horror stories of kids dying and being so sick puts the fear of God in me. I just don't think I can deal with waiting for hours!

Queenb said...

UGH! What a day! Seriosuly, I can't wait to do my new post today about it. It is a horror story, but I'm glad we got them and now I can rest easy. No ped office in our area had them that I know of, so this was probably my only option.